Saturday, June 18, 2011

Having fun and making it work at work.

In keeping with my stated goal of having fun, I approached my supervisor at my big-box retail job about a schedule that makes more sense.  The job is necessary as it provides pretty good health insurance.  It's also fun, and so qualifies as a reasonable way to spend my working hours.  However, the willy-nilly scheduling of eight-hour shifts, on my feet, with two-day-in-a-row weekends a rarity, was wreaking havoc on my ability to, well, stay sane.

I'm an alumna of the 12 hour work day corporate grind.  It wasn't totally horrible as I really liked the work.  But I was pretty obsessed.  One day my manly spouse looked at me and said, "I want my wife back".  So  I walked, started my painted furniture business, and the gradual process of the aforementioned goal began to blossom in my middle-aged heart.

Health care was an issue.  Money was an issue.  Happily the big-box store provided both.  So we now have health insurance, I have a fun job, *and* a little money coming in once every two weeks.  So why was I still tired after a day off? Why was I getting cranky when the prodigal son wanted to plan a lunch date on what he *thought* was my day off, but wasn't ... Because that changed every week.  

This brings me back, in my happy, fun loving, verbose way, to the very first sentence of this blog post.  I now have a regular weekly schedule. Hooray!  It doesn't take effect for two weeks and I'm already having more fun.  Seems to me there's a lesson here... 

Oh, and I have a lunch date with the prodigal son on Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment